Venetian Terrazzo is the fruit of the Latin people’s genius, a people who were able to exploit the poor elements at their disposal to create a product of great artistic value. This type of pavement, having very antique origins, found its formal expression in Venice, where in 1586 the “Arte de’ Terrazzeri” was born, the first written set of rules for making terrazzo.
Originally in lime, Venetian terrazzo has undergone numerous and continuous evolutions during the centuries, adapting itself to the tastes of each age.
The use of grinding machines permitted the passage to a cement binder guaranteeing this type of pavement more resistance to the wear and tear through the centuries. From Venice Venetian terrazzo was exported to all the world and testifying even today, with its presence in the most important buildings, the superior quality of a typical Venetian handwork. In the 70’s it was first supplanted by industrial surrogates of low technical and aesthetic quality at an equally low price, after by the introducing of ceramics and carpeting considered at those times innovative and revolutionary. In the 80’s, this brief parenthesis is closed and the great period of restoration is open. A new manner of operating in historical palaces along with the discovery of classical materials in building permitted the architects to restore to Venetian terrazzo its original dignity and importance. Customers have rediscovered a particular sensibility in conserving original architectural structures and therefore restore or select Venetian terrazzo floorings, acknowledging its exclusive role above all in the Veneto-Lombardo area.
The great interest that has been created in this pavement has brought about the need to defend its construction and aesthetic characteristics by the creation of the Venetian Terrazzo Consortium.